Saturday, February 5, 2011

First RV trip of 2011

At long last, having moved into our new home on October 30, 2010, we are going on our first RV outing since the move. It's true we took Sadie out for a drive the other day, but that was just to exercise the engine and the generator. This time we are going to go to a destination and spend a few days.

Our destination is Cape Kiwanda RV Resort in Pacific City, OR, a whopping 45 miles from home! One thing I love about RVing is that you don't have to go far to have a fun adventure. We used to go 8 miles to Barton County Park, when we lived in Clackamas, and had some of our most memorable trips.

Yesterday and today have been given over to preparing Sadie for her outing. I am ashamed to say that amid all the details of moving into our home, I had not even washed her until yesterday. I might not even have done that, except that I got on a ladder the night before to change a light bulb in one of the marker lights. While I was up there, I could see that the roof was almost black with the "stuff" that had dropped from the oak trees under which we were parked all summer, while we were building the house. Do you have any idea how dirty oak trees are? Yuck.

After giving Sadie a well-deserved bath, I got busy repairing the damage I did to the garage door, getting her out. It seems the pull cord on the garage door opener latch snagged on the satellite dish on top of Sadie. That released the latch, and the door dropped down a couple of feet. I couldn't see that it had dropped, because it was still above the windshield. As I moved the coach forward, I heard a crunch. The good news is that, no matter how I abuse her from time to time, Sadie never lets me down. There was no damage to the coach, but the garage door panel bent just enough to pull the guide wheel out of the track. I had to straighten the panel and re-engage the wheel into the track.

Today, I checked the fluids, aired up the tires and airbags, and made sure the furnace and water heater are working. Finally, we began loading clothing, food and sundry gear aboard. We should be ready for departure shortly after church tomorrow. Can't wait to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment