Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Rain, rain, go away!

Today's weather was about the same as yesterday's, cold, grey, breezy. Only today there was rain added.  Guess whose old moccasin has a hole in the sole!  Nevertheless, we had a pleasant day. 

After a leisurely breakfast and a bit of clean up...i.e., cleaning up the old blogger... we drove into McMinnville, a city of 32,000.  Our mission was Christmas shopping. When my mom fell and lacerated her elbow a few weeks ago, she was wearing a white cardigan sweater.  It was one of her favorite garments. Unfortunately, the laceration resulted in a lot of blood staining of the sweater.  The dry cleaner tried 4 times to remove the stain, but was unsuccessful.

My brilliant wife suggested that a new sweater would be the perfect gift for Mom to find under the tree this year.  So, we went to Mac, as the locals refer to their pretty town, to look for a white, cardigan sweater.  I did not know that no one, apparently, wears such a sweater any longer. At least, no one sells them.  Perhaps, all the stores were sold out, due to the heavy demand for white, cardigan sweaters.  On the other hand, I suspect the fact is that demand is so low that none of the merchants stock this particular item.

Jill reminded me that Mom has had this sweater for likely two decades.  Still, I was amazed. Being the avid student of lady's fashions that I am, I thought that a white cardigan sweater would be a staple of every woman's wardrobe.  What do I know?  Well, I guess you figured that out already.

We returned to Sadie, where the dogs were glad to see us.  Jill heated up some clam chowder and we had a little lunch. After we spent a fair amount of time looking online for a white, cardigan sweater, we gave up. 

I was feeling in a holiday mood, so I went into the kitchen and "invented" some egg nog.  It has been years since I have made it from scratch, so I had to experiment with the ingredients. The final product passed the Jill test, and I thought it was passable as well: even with cinnamon on top instead of nutmeg, of which we had none.

The evening promises another Christmas movie and some relaxation.  Then tomorrow, we will head for home fairly early, since our Church Life Group is coming for a potluck dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment