Friday, April 17, 2009

Vehicle preparations nearly complete...

Yesterday, we finally had some nice weather, which gave me a chance to get out and do some projects on Sadie. The first was to install a shelf in the large storage bay on the port side. This bay is 4 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet. Without any shelving, it became a big jumble of stuff. I installed a wire shelf the length of the bay and 16 inches wide. Installing the shelf unit upside down gave us a lip on the outer edge of the shelf to prevent items from sliding off during travels.

Inside, under the dining table, there is a cabinet that is a foot wide, 15" deep and two feet high. It, too, had no shelf, so part of the space was wasted. I installed a shelf halfway up, which effectively doubles the storage capacity of the cabinet.

Another job I have been intending to get to is to re-secure the brackets that support the tire valve extensions on the rear dual-wheels. On the right rear, both of the brackets had come loose. I was able to secure them with 1/8" pop rivets. Easy job that I have been putting off for months.

Today was rainy, so I didn't get to the next job on the list, which is to install weather stripping on the driver's door. The forecast for tomorrow is better, so I hope to complete that job then. When it is complete, I think Sadie will be ready to hit the road.

The only other vehicle preparations concern our towed vehicle, also known as a "toad" or "dinghy." I prefer the latter term, after many years of boating. I bought a "car bra" for the dinghy last year, but I have not installed it yet. It will require some minor alterations to accommodate the towing gear attachments, so I will need to take care of that before we leave. In addition the dinghy is due for an oil change and tire rotation. Minor stuff, to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment