Monday, November 26, 2012

Of course I know where I'm going; I'm a guy!

We are on the road again. Well, truth to tell we are parked at Armitage park campground, a Lane County park, near Eugene, OR.  This is a beautiful park, and we look forward to exploring it tomorrow.  Our original plan was to leave yesterday after church and get here about 2:00 pm. 

Best laid plans, you know.  My mom had a fall last Sunday, which banged her up pretty good and left her feeling weak, unsteady, unconfident, and frightened. She was due to come to Dallas for a Thanksgiving visit on Wednesday, but after a hospital visit, she was feeling really ill at ease, so I took her home with me on Monday, expecting to take her back on Saturday.  Saturday, it was obvious she was not ready to stay alone, so I wrote my brother and told him I think we need to arrange for some help for Mom.

Good old, Charlie, he called on Saturday evening and said that he would drive to Portland on Monday and plan to stay with Mom all week.  I agreed that would be ideal, so this morning, I drove Mom to her home in Portland and had a changing of the guard with my brother. 

When it was time for me to go home, I called Jill and said, "I'll be home by 1:00, if you want to go camping."  So, she got busy and prepped Sadie for a two day trip, instead of the three days we had hoped for.

When I arrived home, I checked and adjusted tire pressures, checked the oil and water and made sure that Sadie was ready to travel.  We left the house about 2:30 pm and headed for Armitage park.  Now, neither of us had been here before, and we were only vaguely aware of its location.  I forgot to check the Mapquest map that I had made a couple of days ago, and the late Autumn sun was headed for the horizon at breakneck speed.

With only a couple of navigation errors, we managed to pull into the park just before dusk.  I got Sadie connected to the power, water and sewer; activated the satellite dish and connected to the wi-fi. Yes, there is wi-fi in this Lane county park! Once we felt at home, we walked the dogs up to the registration office and checked in. By then, that old sun had found the horizon, so we retired inside to the warmth and friendliness of Sadie's interior.

So far, the only downside to this trip has been that there was a certain amount of angst involved with heading to an unknown destination while racing the sun, and the park is not far from I-5, so there is a certain amount of traffic noise perceptible. Nevertheless, I expect to sleep really well.

Stay tuned for more info and some photos tomorrow, if I remembered to bring the transfer cable for my phone.  Don't hold your breath, because I did forget the real camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment